Source – aeawave.org
The Aquatic Exercise Association (AEA), the world’s largest certifying organization for aquatic fitness programming, has set forth the following guidelines based on the current aquatic fitness research and knowledge of exercise physiology, biomechanics,
kinesiology and the physical properties of water. These guidelines may help to minimize risk of injury and provide optimal benefit and enjoyment of fitness activities conducted in the aquatic environment.
• AEA acknowledges that Guidelines for aquatic fitness vary with different populations and programs. The following Guidelines apply to an average healthy adult without any known limitations or restrictions for engaging in an exercise program.
• AEA recommends that all individuals obtain physician approval prior to initiating exercise or when significantly altering an existing exercise program.
• AEA recognizes and promotes the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) Guidelines for Exercise.
• AEA recognizes and promotes the Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans published by the US Department of Health and Human Services.
• For additional information, AEA strongly urges you to consult the Aquatic Fitness Professional Manual.